Tuross Heads (Coila Lake)
EUROBODALLA SHIRE COUNCIL - YUIN NATION
This Zombie DA was approved in 1983 for 11.9 hectares of land to be developed for 60 residential homes. Developer McCloy Group lodged modification plans in 2020 to increase the number of lots to 76, and at the time of publication they are advertising 80 for sale.
WHERE IS IT UP TO?
On 2 March 2022 Eurobodalla Shire Council granted development consent for the modified proposal, MDA0124/20. Subdivisions and buildings are expected to begin in late 2022.
WHAT’S AT STAKE?
- Approximate area to be cleared: 10 hectares
- Endangered Ecological Communities: Major loss of Swamp Oak Forest covering most of the site, to create a Bushfire Asset Protection Zone and ensure "unobstructed water views" for new residents; damage to a delicate Saltmarsh wetland ecosystem as the site is immediately adjacent to one of NSW’s Intermittently Closed and Open Lakes and Lagoons (ICOLLs); possible damage to other EECs supported by the foreshore
- Adjacent to Ecologically Endangered Communities including Swamp Oak Floodplain Forest and remnant Littoral Rainforest, wetlands, saltmarsh and seagrass beds which provide habitat for diverse fauna and at least 47 native bird species
- Far Eastern Curlew
- White-bellied Sea-Eagle
- Black Swan
- Hooded Plover
- Pied Oystercatcher
- Wilsonia Rotundifolia (endangered plant species)
WHO’S FIGHTING IT?
- Protect Coila Lake’s fragile ecosystem
- Tuross Head Progress Association