SHOALHAVEN CITY COUNCIL - YUIN NATION
Ozy Homes received approval in 2008 for a 180-lot residential development on Lot 172 Cunjurong Point Road and 148 (Lot 823) Sunset Strip, Manyana which is three kilometres from Lake Conjola. Having received DA more than a decade ago, this 20 hectares of land has since become a critical refuge for wildlife after it was spared from the 2020 Black summer bushfires that left around 93% of the surrounding Conjola National Park burnt.
In 2020, the government’s attempt to buy the block of land due to environmental significance and add it to the National Park estate fell through.
WHERE IS IT UP TO?
An environmental assessment is being conducted under the federal EPBC Act.
WHAT’S AT STAKE?
- Approximate area to be cleared: 20 hectares
- Bushfire risk: The bushfire prone land makes it unfit for the proposed development which has little or no firebreak protection and no safe escape for residents in event of a fire approaching from a westerly direction. The broader area has one access road and limited firefighting facilities.
- Stormwater risk: Proposal is deficient in stormwater management analysis
- Environmental impacts: The proposed development sits upon land mapped as Critically Endangered Ecological Community (CEEC) which is considered irreplaceable and defined as a Significant and Irreversible Impact Entity (SAII). Additionally, it does not comply with the zone objectives for environmental management, Shoalhaven Local Environmental Plan and the Shoalhaven Development Control Plan.
- Unaffordable and unaccessible housing: A large majority of housing in the proposal will become investment or holiday properties.
- Insufficient infrastructure: The development proposal fails to address how doubling the community’s population will impact insufficient medical services and retail outlets.
- Critically Endangered Scrub Turpentine
- Critically Endangered Swift Parrot
- Threatened Gang Gang Cockatoo, Powerful Owl
- Southern Brown Bandicoot
- Grey-headed Flying Fox
- Large-bent winged bat
- Endangered Greater Glider
- Mainland Dusky Antechinus
- Superb Lyrebird
- Pilot Bird
- Mustard-Bellied Snake
WHO’S FIGHTING IT?
- Manyana Matters