PORT MACQUARIE HASTINS COUNCIL - BIRPAI COUNTRY
The McCloy Group have proposed to develop up to 241 Serviced Self Care Housing Units/Independent Living Units across Lot 4 DP 844371 and part Lot 1 DP 1018270 on Bonny View Drive (corner of Ocean Drive). The development is planned to clear over 21 hectares of a 118 hectare block that was sold in late 2020.
WHERE IS IT UP TO?
The Site Compatibility Certificate was refused by the Northern Region Planning Panel who have allowed the McCloy Group to resubmit to the Panel if they satisfy concerns regarding ecological and servicing factors.
WHAT’S AT STAKE?
- Approximate area to be cleared: 21 hectares
- Proposed development area - floodplain/swamp area which acts as a flood regulator
- Insufficient road infrastructure - current road systems barely cope with present levels of traffic, meaning future development would completely overwhelm roads/public transport systems
- Insufficient sewerage system - the sewerage system is already at full capacity and regularly overflows into nearby creeks and ocean streams when experiencing moderate rainfall.
- Insufficient services available - the local doctors and medical centre is currently unable to support the community’s existing population, with the introduction of this development (a fourth senior living/aged care facility located on Ocean Drive) only adding to the strain on unavailable medical services.
- Swift Parrot
- Powerful Owl
- Wallum Froglet
- Black-necked Stork
- Little Lorikeet
- White-bellied Sea-Eagle
- Eastern Coastal Free-tailed Bat
- Little Bentwing-bat
- Large Bent-winged bat
- Southern Myotis
- Yellow-bellied Glider
- Squirrel Glider
- Brush-tailed Phascogale
- Grey-headed Flying-fox.
WHO’S FIGHTING IT?
- Bonny Hills Progress Association
- Save Bonny View FB Group